Important: Your continued use of this forum indicates acceptance of the forum rules. Please make sure you have read and understand these rules.

Thread Rating:
  • 2 Votes - 4 Average
The "Flying Vaper"
Taajsgpm Offline

Likes Given: 0
Sex:
RE: The "Flying Vaper"
(10/05/14 05:04 PM)prof beard Wrote:  We have threads every now and then asking about taking kit on planes. I've been doing this for over five years, and as I've just got back from a business trip to New Orleans (via Chicago) I thought I'd review the state of things from my latest experience.

Firstly, I travel with carry on only (no checked baggage), but I must remind people at this point that things with lithium batteries in are not welcome in checked baggage! Loose batteries for mods etc MUST go in carry on.

I took with with me: my Super T Simplicity 14500, eBaron Dripper Spiral, Grail for Diver, six 14500 batteries, battery charger, spare wicks and coils, and 40ml of eliquid (one 30ml and one 10ml).

At each of the airports involved (Manchester, Chicago and New Orleans) my experience was the same: liquid in the liquids bag for security, everything else in my briefcase with my iPad and charger, Simplicity with Spiral fitted just put in the tray in full sight. No comment was passed at any of the security checks (except at Chicago where my big Grateful Dead belt buckle was much admired Smiling ).

I was flying with American Airlines and on one of the four flights they said ecigs were not allowed. I just "stealth vaped" openly on all four flights and no one commented. I also did the same in the lounges without comment.

I noticed fewer Vapers in New Orleans than in other US cities I've been in, but there was a big car with a advertising display for a brand of cigalikes cruising around the French Quarter each day.
I did the same thing but was so afraid of getting caught, wonder what they would do?
20/01/15 01:35 AM
Find all posts by this user Like Post Quote this message in a reply Return to top
lexalove Offline
Flavour Junkie / Long Mod Hater
Mod Makers and Sellers

Likes Given: 17
Sex: Male
It may be a "one-off" or some kind of policy change but I flew back from Bremen, Germany this past Friday morning and even though I had my juices in a clear plastic bag along with other liquids they confiscated my two almost empty bottles of juice. The reason stated was because the bottles have the toxic liquid sign on the label.

I thought I would be cheeky and asked the lady if I could drip one last time before I boarded the plane but she smiled and said, "No."

If it is a rule change it's ridiculous because if I'd have a tank full of liquid they wouldn't have said anything, or for that matter if I had the liquid in a plain bottle nothing would have been said. I'll see if I have a similar experience on my next business trip.

Fave Mods: DIY Raptor 20A, DNA200 GBoy & Stubby Modz
Fave Attys: Origen Genny Mk2, Ubertoot #100
26/01/15 10:11 PM
Find all posts by this user Like Post Quote this message in a reply Return to top
JoBo Offline
over-sensitive
Vendors

Likes Given: 9,144
Sex: Undisclosed
I'd complain to the airport and include the Trading Standards guidelines for juice bottles for their information. Security should know the score and if they don't they need to be brought up to date.
26/01/15 10:22 PM
Izan Offline
tactless fuck

Likes Given: 2,682
(26/01/15 10:11 PM)lexalove Wrote:  It may be a "one-off" or some kind of policy change but I flew back from Bremen, Germany this past Friday morning and even though I had my juices in a clear plastic bag along with other liquids they confiscated my two almost empty bottles of juice. The reason stated was because the bottles have the toxic liquid sign on the label.

I thought I would be cheeky and asked the lady if I could drip one last time before I boarded the plane but she smiled and said, "No."

If it is a rule change it's ridiculous because if I'd have a tank full of liquid they wouldn't have said anything, or for that matter if I had the liquid in a plain bottle nothing would have been said. I'll see if I have a similar experience on my next business trip.

Nothing new....

"Explosive or flammable liquids, and those that are considered toxic, are not permitted in either hand or hold luggage."

Plain packaging for the win.
I

26/01/15 11:06 PM
marlowejames Offline

Likes Given: 2,158
(26/01/15 11:06 PM)Izan Wrote:  
(26/01/15 10:11 PM)lexalove Wrote:  It may be a "one-off" or some kind of policy change but I flew back from Bremen, Germany this past Friday morning and even though I had my juices in a clear plastic bag along with other liquids they confiscated my two almost empty bottles of juice. The reason stated was because the bottles have the toxic liquid sign on the label.

Nothing new....

"Explosive or flammable liquids, and those that are considered toxic, are not permitted in either hand or hold luggage."

Plain packaging for the win.
I

I recall a twitter exchange with Flybe and our own Lorrien (ECCA) when she also had her liquid confiscated. Considering I'm having to use Flybe in May I checked their terms and conditions and explosive/flammable/toxic liquids are stated as not permitted. As shop bought liquids will undoubtedly have some form of labeling that may have unnecessary labeling warnings (according to ECITA that is) I suspect using alternative bottles are the best option. As I mix my own anyway that's not a problem, but there's certainly a hit and miss attitude/policy to eliquid being taken on flights.
26/01/15 11:18 PM
Ash2Ashes Offline
"People die at the fair."

Likes Given: 781

On a side note, what did you think of Bremen? I went over Christmas for the markets-beautiful place Smiling

"How much can you know about yourself if you've never been in a fight?"
26/01/15 11:55 PM
Taajsgpm Offline

Likes Given: 0
Sex:
(10/05/14 06:43 PM)voxdub Wrote:  
(10/05/14 06:38 PM)skelde Wrote:  What does stealth vaping openly mean?
Presumably not drawing attention to yourself by blowing clouds but not exactly hiding it
I blew the vape into my shirt
12/02/15 11:37 PM
savagenoize Offline

Likes Given: 37
Sex:
Put your liquids in a plain bottle in the clear plastic bag, put your vaper in the tray with your laptop/ipad, stroll on through and pick it up on the other side. I fly at least 3 or 4 times a month and have never had a problem. If they can't see it (and it will of course show on the X-ray) they'll pull you up. i.e. in a bag, jacket pocket etc.
As for the plane itself, stealth is the key here, go higher than normal on the pg content to keep vapour to a minimum and be discreet. no worries.

Never too much of the shiny stuff.

13/02/15 11:44 PM
Michealtbh Offline

Likes Given: 243
Would a spinner with protank mini 3 have to go in a clear bag going through security since it contains liquid?
22/02/15 08:41 AM
Michealtbh Offline

Likes Given: 243
Re: RE: The "Flying Vaper"
(22/02/15 08:41 AM)Michealtbh Wrote:  Would a spinner with protank mini 3 have to go in a clear bag going through security since it contains liquid?

Anyone? Flying out in the morning
22/02/15 08:33 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)