Important: Your continued use of this forum indicates acceptance of the forum rules. Please make sure you have read and understand these rules.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Unwanted sweetness
Steve698 Offline

Likes Given: 4
Sex: Male
Unwanted sweetness
Have noticed lately that all my juices have the same kind of taste to them. I know that taste is a subjective thing and most of us being ex-smokers probably have taste buds that are shot to pieces but everything has an overly sweet taste both on the inhale and exhale. So much so that I get a sugary taste on my lips after vaping.
I have had a search around and it seems VG can have this effect. My base is not that VG heavy 60/40 but could this be the reason ? Trouble is I have mixed the VG/PG so cant now separate them. Tried this morning just vaping the base with no flavouring and it does seem really sweet. Anyone else had this problem ?
09/11/17 05:15 PM
Find all posts by this user Like Post Quote this message in a reply Return to top
slidey_adz Offline
Professional Idiot

Likes Given: 1,227
Sex: Undisclosed
RE: Unwanted sweetness
It could be the recipes you are using? Are you mixing them yoursel or using oneshots? Could be sweeteners in the recipe giving you this sugary-ness.

RTA/RDA/DIY = F#CK THE TPD!!
09/11/17 05:24 PM
Find all posts by this user Like Post Quote this message in a reply Return to top
stevelauder Offline
Vendors

Likes Given: 682
Worth checking what VG you have too. Most EU VG is rapeseed derived, but I have seen some offering palm derived VG, which is much, much sweeter.

If you buy boots Glycerine that's rapeseed derived, which will help you determine what type you're sat on, if that's helpful. Try a teaspoon of it and you'll see that VG is naturally rather sweet.... but not as sweet as the palm derived stuff.

Your base isn't too VG heavy, but if you want a more neutral base, 50-50 will be better.
09/11/17 06:30 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Like Post Quote this message in a reply Return to top
Steve698 Offline

(09/11/17 06:30 PM)stevelauder Wrote:  Worth checking what VG you have too. Most EU VG is rapeseed derived, but I have seen some offering palm derived VG, which is much, much sweeter.

If you buy boots Glycerine that's rapeseed derived, which will help you determine what type you're sat on, if that's helpful. Try a teaspoon of it and you'll see that VG is naturally rather sweet.... but not as sweet as the palm derived stuff.

Your base isn't too VG heavy, but if you want a more neutral base, 50-50 will be better.

Hmmm trouble is I have 750ml of already mixed base it is Classikool, not sure what that is derived from - I'll go do some looking. Either way I think I may have to some more of each VG/PG and do some experimenting.
09/11/17 07:23 PM
Steve698 Offline

(09/11/17 05:24 PM)slidey_adz Wrote:  It could be the recipes you are using? Are you mixing them yoursel or using oneshots? Could be sweeteners in the recipe giving you this sugary-ness.

Thing is though I get the same result with all my juices whether fruit, dessert or tobacco and from every maker I have tried ( flavourart, inawera, bcl and many others). I don't generally mix at too high a percentage, I don't like overpowered flavours mostly I'm around 5% for the main flavour, some are a little higher but not many and some are lower.
09/11/17 07:30 PM
MDC Online

Likes Given: 283
(09/11/17 07:30 PM)Steve698 Wrote:  
(09/11/17 05:24 PM)slidey_adz Wrote:  It could be the recipes you are using? Are you mixing them yoursel or using oneshots? Could be sweeteners in the recipe giving you this sugary-ness.

Thing is though I get the same result with all my juices whether fruit, dessert or tobacco and from every maker I have tried ( flavourart, inawera, bcl and many others). I don't generally mix at too high a percentage, I don't like overpowered flavours mostly I'm around 5% for the main flavour, some are a little higher but not many and some are lower.

Strange how we differ! I MTL at around 20w, 50/50 PG/VG, and use flavour at about 20-25%. My sweet is sweet and when I don't use sweet, it's not.

I guess if you cloud vape with weak flavours, then the Glycerine flavour may come through more?
09/11/17 11:42 PM
Amazing Vape Offline

Likes Given: 1,068
I guess if you cloud vape with weak flavours, then the Glycerine flavour may come through more?

You know, I didn't think of that while I was reading the thread but it seems to make a lot of sense.
Still, percentages do vary a lot. For instance, I find "normal" concentrates/flavours better at 10 to 12% or so. But there are brands that actually need more (normally less interesting brands, honestly). And you do mention Inawera and Flavourart, which are both super concentrates. I mix Inawera at about 2%. And Flavourart is generally basically the same - if you mix at much more than, say, 3%, it gets too overpowering, hence "bad".
And then there are people who like extra strong vapes (taste wise) while others are quite the opposite. In terms of health effects I'd say it's better not to mix your flavours too strong. And 5% is actually strong both for Inawera and Flavourart, at least in general.
But I still think what Steve said makes sense... Or it could be that you're using too much flavour... In the case of tobacco juices it could happen that your buds could be confusing strongness with sweetness... Or not.

A site about the facts and history of vaping (but most probably never): http://www.amazingvape.weebly.com
(This post was last modified: 10/11/17 10:56 PM by Amazing Vape.)
10/11/17 09:55 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Like Post Quote this message in a reply Return to top
freshlywicked Offline

Likes Given: 333
you could try working through. Have you got a dripper? Just take some neat vg and drip some, see what its like. then add a % of flavor start low and keep adding, dripping and working up. Might help you pin point

edit: apologies just noticed you have mixed everything up!

Drip Driving....Policeman
14/11/17 09:20 AM
flearider Offline

Likes Given: 234
I use classkool .. yeah it's a bit sweeter than others ...but I like it
you can get a couple of additives to help mask the sweetness

What does it matter now if men believe or no?
What is to come will come. And soon you too will stand aside,
To murmur in pity that my words were true
(Cassandra, in Agamemnon by Aeschylus)
To see the wizard one must look behind the curtain ....
14/11/17 11:19 AM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)