Important: Your continued use of this forum indicates acceptance of the forum rules. Please make sure you have read and understand these rules.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
VAMO - 9.99 or 0.00 reading all or most of the time? Here's the solution.
DarthPistachio Offline

Likes Given: 56
Sex: Male
VAMO - 9.99 or 0.00 reading all or most of the time? Here's the solution.
Some of you may have noticed that with some atomisers the Vamo reads 0.00 (direct short and won't fire) or 9.99 (infinite resistance and wont fire - no closed circuit) And may have wondered what's going on and how to fix it.

You may have suspected your atomiser BUT it may just be the Vamo itself - specifically the 510 connector - SPECIFICALLY the silicone grommet the manufacturer has used underneath the positive pole.

This grommet can through normal use get cut through - and when you put in an atomiser that has a longer than usual positive connection it can actually force down the positive pole at an angle and short it against the vamo's body itself - resulting in a 0.00 reading and a non fire situation.

Also the silicone grommet can start to get soft and the pole sits too low meaning that atomisers with a shorter than average positive connection never get a connection and this registers as 9.99v and again no-firing situation.

Here is my solution to this issue:

The fix IS easy but requires a bit of technical aptitude and some confidence - it involves pulling the positive connection OUT of the vamo - discarding the silicone grommet - possibly re-soldering the connector - insulating the pole with heat shrink or suitable tape - and applying a suitable nitrile or viton o-ring that will allow the use of atomisers with varying positive pole lengths with little hassle in future.

attached image shows the fixed connector that now accepts any atomiser of any connector length with no problems.

This WILL happen to ALL Vamo's in due time - I can guarantee that...
  • With a pointy tweezers lever up the positive pole - there will be a length of wire attached to it that should be able to let you pull the whole pole and wire out of the Vamo body by about 1/2-1".
  • Then remove the silicone grommet. On my particular vamo the grommet had cut through and was allowing the positive pole to short against the negative body of the Vamo whenever an atomiser with a positive connector of greater than 4.45mm was fitted.. Whatever the reason the grommet is too thin to adequately do it's job properly - discard it.
  • At this point I also discovered that my positive pole solder connection was pretty poor and the connection was held on by only a few strands of the electric wire - I cut the wire as close as possible to the actual positive pole.
  • I then slid on some heat shrink tubing onto the wire and then prepared the pole and wire for re soldering.
  • The absolute safest way to do this is to mount the positive pole into a small clamp --- I used one of those helping hands devices as shown below.

• With a small torch heat up the positive pole in the clamp until you see the solder inside its base liquefy - then swiftly and carefully insert the prepared wire from the vamo body back into the base of the positive pole and hold still until the solder hardens again.
  • Then slide the heat shrink up around the base of the pole and the wire connection up to the base of the top lip and carefully apply heat with a hot air gun or a hair dryer until the heat shrink does it's job.
  • Alternatively wrap it once or twice with good quality insulating tape. It mustn't be too think as you have to still apply an o-ring underneath the top lip of the positive pole. just enough to provide good insulation.
  • Put your o-ring underneath the top lip of the positive pole and then carefully push the whole assembly back into the top of the Vamo housing.

• When an atomiser is screwed on the whole assembly will be nicely compressed and will also prevent leaks from atomisers migrating inside the vamo body. This will eliminate all issues with atomiser connections and shorts from the positive pole against the vamo body.
  • If you have a really leaky atomiser is is best to disconnect the atomiser form the vamo upside down so that pools of juice do not migrate into the Vamo body whilst you perform a clear up - although in general if you use the right o-ring it should seal nicely and hold itself in place when you remove the atomiser. I used a 3mm ID x 1.5 CS nitrile o-ring.

REMEMBER: If your wire connection is OK all you need to do is wrap the base of the positive pole with insulation and fit your o-ring.

(This post was last modified: 11/02/13 07:24 PM by DarthPistachio.)
11/02/13 07:22 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Like Post Quote this message in a reply Return to top
[-] The following 20 users Like DarthPistachio's post:
Bongobry (27/05/13), CraigC (11/02/13), Crocodile (22/05/13), damnager (24/03/13), gazza (23/03/13), jeffc (18/02/13), joe_at (12/02/13), keyo (17/02/13), lazydog (22/02/13), MarlowMan (17/02/13), NorthStaR (26/03/13), pete5dogs (21/02/14), philmein (12/02/13), scrubadub (17/02/13), sej016 (17/02/13), silverette (01/08/13), The Gremlin (23/08/14), turbogirl (07/07/14), Vapant (23/03/13), Wonko (11/02/13)
turbogirl Offline

Likes Given: 67
Sex: Undisclosed
RE: VAMO - 9.99 or 0.00 reading all or most of the time? Here's the solution.
My fasttech vamo v5 mukey seems different. The positive pin is less defined in shape and relies on on a tiny o ring fitted into a positive sleeve to stop it falling out upwards, which is fitted into the main body in a solid bottomed brass sheath with some kind of rubber sleeve, possibly heatshrink, on its exterior to insulate against the body. The actuation is via a spring which had weakened- I suppose heat and a mere weeks worth of vaping had proved too much for the infamous China steel... but hubs jiggled it and I'm guessing I'll have some use out of it before it goes again. I think it needs a better spring but then the o ring will no doubt struggle to retain the pin- all in all, a waste of money and very disheartened as there doesn't seem to be an obvious fix to the basic design flaw in this version.... or am I missing something? Was the whole spring assembly supposed to be removed, although that would not have cured the looseness of the pin due to the failed spring?

And heres the positive pin as removed...

Hubs wanted to do the job so I'm just interpreting here, pardon if I'm not clear.

11/07/14 11:00 AM
Find all posts by this user Like Post Quote this message in a reply Return to top
[-] The following 1 user Likes turbogirl's post:
AlpineNewt (11/07/14)
wantavape Offline
Mod Makers and Sellers

Likes Given: 10
i have found the rubber grommet from a kanger coil works perfect on positive posts, on my vamo and on my KTS+ macnical mod
23/08/14 07:13 PM
Find all posts by this user Like Post Quote this message in a reply Return to top
EntropicVapes Offline
Vendors

Likes Given: 75
Hmm, tempted to get the old Vamo from many moons ago out and see if I can fix it with this method. Thanks for the tip!

http://www.entropicvapes.com 15% off with code ukv15
UK made 60% VG juice at 30% flavouring with £1 flat rate shipping.
Now sporting new flavours, 100ml bottles, and 0mg juice.
23/08/14 07:24 PM
The Gremlin Offline
SNAFU

Likes Given: 304
Cheers Darth

I've had 3 old vamo's sat in a cupboard for exactly this reason ... Looks like my technical ineptitude is about to be tested
23/08/14 07:47 PM
Matt Gluggles Offline
Vendors

Likes Given: 1,011
Excellent and helpful post.

My Vamo has a spring loaded centre pin, so won't suffer from this problem, but useful info for others.
(This post was last modified: 23/08/14 08:13 PM by Matt Gluggles.)
23/08/14 07:58 PM
Valiex Offline

Likes Given: 0
Good to know there's a fix for an issue I've personally had in the past when I used my Vamo; but seriously, who has time for this? Especially for a mod that is pretty cheap. I'd rather just buy a mod that works in the first place. Plenty of better options out there now — the industry has come a long way since the Vamo.

That said, I applaud the OP for finding a fix and posting detailed and helpful instructions.
26/08/14 09:47 AM
cider! Offline

Likes Given: 315
Is this a problem with newer VAMO's? Been using 2 x v2 VAMOs from late 2012 and never had this issue?
26/08/14 11:55 AM
Amazing Vape Offline

Likes Given: 1,073
You may always buy a new Vamo (or whatever) instead of going through all that ordeal...

A site about the facts and history of vaping (but most probably never): http://www.amazingvape.weebly.com
26/08/14 02:08 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Like Post Quote this message in a reply Return to top

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)