Important: Your continued use of this forum indicates acceptance of the forum rules. Please make sure you have read and understand these rules.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
VERY, VERY IMPORTANT - PayPal Gift
nosmo Offline
whatever!

Likes Given: 249
Sex: Male
RE: VERY, VERY IMPORTANT - PayPal Gift
So what is the position regarding asking for payment by BACS?

30/01/15 02:17 PM
Find all posts by this user Like Post Quote this message in a reply Return to top
pinktape Offline

Likes Given: 414
VERY, VERY IMPORTANT - PayPal Gift
Not making a point in particular, but wondering aloud (well, on a keyboard)...

I've sold several things on here. On one occasion (only) the buyer-to-be offered a bit less than I was asking, but offered to pay by F&F. I told him I thought that was verboten, but he pointed me to the "sticky" on the Sales forum which only forbade *asking* for payment that way, not accepting an offer of it. That made sense to me.
It made, and still makes, sense to me because at the root of the rule is the protection of the buyer. If it is the buyer himself who decides, and offers, to forego that protection, is that not his prerogative? If it is not, should it not be?

Don't get me wrong. I'm a fan of rules that make life simpler for everyone, and I'm very happy to stick to whatever rules there are for whatever I choose to do, from driving my car on the right if I go to France to selling a mod on the forum only by Paypal and under no circumstances F&F. If I want to drive in France or sell a mod on UKV, I'll do it by the rules. But I do wonder whether, particularly as a section of the populace who decry being "over-nannied", we need to be protected from our own wish to take a risk uninvited.

Just my two-penn'orth.

30/01/15 03:46 PM
Find all posts by this user Like Post Quote this message in a reply Return to top
[-] The following 3 users Like pinktape's post:
JohnnyEars (14/02/15), Scritti (02/02/15), wes (30/01/15)
nosmo Offline
whatever!

I go along with that pinktape, just done a deal on another forum.

I said to the guy, if I pay you PayPal personal it will save you £1.50 and will you knock that of the price.

He said yes and all went well.

30/01/15 04:11 PM
[-] The following 1 user Likes nosmo's post:
Scritti (02/02/15)
yahoo2u2 Offline
Vaping is NOT a crime, banning it is

Likes Given: 483
nosmo

Its NOT saved him anything as you kept the money, it saved you £1.50, but you lost any protection!

I too purchased on here and the seller asked for F&F or no sale!

Smile, it wont hurt you, go on try it......or not, freedom of choice I suppose.
(This post was last modified: 30/01/15 04:17 PM by yahoo2u2.)
30/01/15 04:14 PM
[-] The following 2 users Like yahoo2u2's post:
Scritti (02/02/15), Tony8 (30/01/15)
prof beard Offline
Global Moderator
Global Moderators

Likes Given: 1,207
Well, Phil has made the rules clear. I would point out that NOT allowing PPFF not only protects the seller, it also protect the UKV team from all the unpleasant threads and recriminations when things go turtle and someone has lost out as a result of agreeing to PPFF

I won't slave for beggar's pay,
likewise gold and jewels,
but I would slave to learn the way
to sink your ship of fools

30/01/15 04:23 PM
[-] The following 5 users Like prof beard's post:
FlavourArtUK (02/02/15), JoBo (30/01/15), RobT (31/01/15), Scritti (02/02/15), Tony8 (30/01/15)
pinktape Offline

Likes Given: 414
(30/01/15 04:11 PM)nosmo Wrote:  I go along with that pinktape, just done a deal on another forum.

I said to the guy, if I pay you PayPal personal it will save you £1.50 and will you knock that of the price.

He said yes and all went well.

Not quite the same thing, I don't think...

The rule is to protect the "unconscious" buyer from unscrupulous sellers. Thus the rule against asking for F&F is a direct result. I'm more thinking of the "conscious" buyer, who decides to take a risk to save a few pennies.

His choice?

(30/01/15 04:23 PM)prof beard Wrote:  Well, Phil has made the rules clear. I would point out that NOT allowing PPFF not only protects the seller, it also protect the UKV team from all the unpleasant threads and recriminations when things go turtle and someone has lost out as a result of agreeing to PPFF

Now that I certainly DO get.

(This post was last modified: 30/01/15 04:26 PM by pinktape.)
30/01/15 04:24 PM
[-] The following 1 user Likes pinktape's post:
Scritti (02/02/15)
nosmo Offline
whatever!

(30/01/15 04:23 PM)prof beard Wrote:  Well, Phil has made the rules clear. I would point out that NOT allowing PPFF not only protects the seller, it also protect the UKV team from all the unpleasant threads and recriminations when things go turtle and someone has lost out as a result of agreeing to PPFF

Fair comment.

30/01/15 04:26 PM
Tony8 Offline

Likes Given: 725
Sex: Undisclosed
(30/01/15 04:24 PM)pinktape Wrote:  Not quite the same thing, I don't think...

The rule is to protect the "unconscious" buyer from unscrupulous sellers. Thus the rule against asking for F&F is a direct result. I'm more thinking of the "conscious" buyer, who decides to take a risk to save a few pennies.

His choice?

You could argue that way, but will our frugal buyer be so forgiving and understanding if the item never arrives, or will he post a thread up about being ripped off and not having any protection (even though of his own doing?)

Rules seem clear enough to me

Mods: Sigelei 75WTC/VS DNA30
Attys: TFV4mini/Triton/Nautilus Mini/Marquis
Top Juice: Fresh Squeeze (Element)
(This post was last modified: 30/01/15 04:28 PM by Tony8.)
30/01/15 04:27 PM
[-] The following 1 user Likes Tony8's post:
Scritti (02/02/15)
yahoo2u2 Offline
Vaping is NOT a crime, banning it is

Likes Given: 483
agreed its a fair rule.

Smile, it wont hurt you, go on try it......or not, freedom of choice I suppose.
30/01/15 04:32 PM
Kenneth Offline

Likes Given: 3,863
I like the rule. I've paid by gift a few times on here ( I haven't bought that much tbh) but the buyer didn't request it, I just thought I'd do them a favour on a low value transaction and voluntary gave up my PayPal protection. I guess nobody would ever know as I wouldn't kick up a fuss in public for such a thing but it would be a harsh ban if they did. But rules are best kept simple so Thumbs Up
30/01/15 04:57 PM
[-] The following 3 users Like Kenneth's post:
Scritti (02/02/15), voodoobloo (30/01/15), Wonko (13/09/15)

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)