Important: Your continued use of this forum indicates acceptance of the forum rules. Please make sure you have read and understand these rules.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
best way to....
Beldin Offline
Liveware Problem

Likes Given: 446
Sex: Undisclosed
best way to....
i am a DIY incompetent - but find myself needing to do some modifications to a ModMaker squonking 510 and make some copper contacts

first off i need to shorten the pin on the 510 by ~3mm so the bottle fits.
what is the best way of doing this? - i was thinking a drill and cutting disk...
anyone got any advice?

also making a ~12-13mm hole in the negative contact - is a step drill the best bet for 0.55mm copper plate?

again any advice is appreciated?

29/06/17 02:06 PM
Find all posts by this user Like Post Quote this message in a reply Return to top
Hemulin Offline

Likes Given: 171
Sex: Male
RE: best way to....
A drill & cutting disc sounds fine for the 510 but be sure to wear safety specs as those discs have a tendency to brake & go flying,
Drilling the negative plate, the way I've always done things like this is to drill a small centering hole then use a drill bit of the required size,I have never used one of those step drills but I imagine it should work OK as copper is a reasonably soft metal.
29/06/17 05:08 PM
Find all posts by this user Like Post Quote this message in a reply Return to top
[-] The following 2 users Like Hemulin's post:
Beldin (29/06/17), MDC (29/06/17)
MDC Offline

Likes Given: 275
Ditto to that! I have seen one of those disks breaking at speed. It should do the job, but take your time, don't rush it. As for the hole, I would use either a small pilot hole or dent from a center punch, then the right sized drill.

Stick some masking tape on the copper, mark the spot and do the pilot hole/dent, remove the tape, drill the hole.
29/06/17 05:49 PM
[-] The following 1 user Likes MDC's post:
Beldin (29/06/17)
Stevethesax Offline
Out, damn'd spot

Likes Given: 345
The step drill will be just fine.
If you drill sheet copper/brass with a standard drill there's a very good chance the drill will 'grab', which makes it act like a screw thread. This'll knacker the job in seconds, as well as any bits of flesh that happen to be nearby.
Best bet is either a drill correctly ground for non-ferrous sheet metal (yeah, right) or a blunt one (sounds more like it) - or step/cone drill.
A drop of milk (yeah, really) will lubricate the cutter just nicely.
Just remember that copper is a complete bastard to work with, and you won't got far wrong.

As for the 510 - a Dremel-type drill should be fine...but as others have said, goggles are recommended. And don't try to do it freehand. Clamp the pin in a vice of some sort.
As it's only 3mm, and likely to be soft...why not just file the bugger?
29/06/17 06:21 PM
[-] The following 3 users Like Stevethesax's post:
Beldin (29/06/17), dohouch (30/06/17), fridgemagnett (29/06/17)
MDC Offline

(29/06/17 06:21 PM)Stevethesax Wrote:  The step drill will be just fine.
If you drill sheet copper/brass with a standard drill there's a very good chance the drill will 'grab', which makes it act like a screw thread. This'll knacker the job in seconds, as well as any bits of flesh that happen to be nearby.
Best bet is either a drill correctly ground for non-ferrous sheet metal (yeah, right) or a blunt one (sounds more like it) - or step/cone drill.
A drop of milk (yeah, really) will lubricate the cutter just nicely.
Just remember that copper is a complete bastard to work with, and you won't got far wrong.

As for the 510 - a Dremel-type drill should be fine...but as others have said, goggles are recommended. And don't try to do it freehand. Clamp the pin in a vice of some sort.
As it's only 3mm, and likely to be soft...why not just file the bugger?
Point taken about the copper, I have clamped it really well before drilling, and ease off just before the bit bites on penetration. The Dremel style tools often have reamers, so another possibility is to drill the hole small and ream it out.
29/06/17 06:36 PM
[-] The following 1 user Likes MDC's post:
Beldin (29/06/17)
Stevethesax Offline
Out, damn'd spot

Likes Given: 345
(29/06/17 06:36 PM)MDC Wrote:  Point taken about the copper, I have clamped it really well before drilling, and ease off just before the bit bites on penetration. The Dremel style tools often have reamers, so another possibility is to drill the hole small and ream it out.

They're more likely to be 'burrs', which are a crude form of milling cutter. They work just fine, but can be incredibly hard to control.
A better bet is a small grinding wheel, preferably a cylindrical one. It'll clag up fast with copper, but it's less likely to leave a ragged hole.
A 'proper' reamer is a very different tool.
29/06/17 07:11 PM
[-] The following 1 user Likes Stevethesax's post:
Loganberry (29/06/17)
Beldin Offline
Liveware Problem

thanks guys

seems i dont need to shorten the pin on the 510 - i test fitted the MM510 out of a Runt as i was taking the contacts out just to see how they fitted - but it is a slightly different 510 from the new one MM sent (the one in the runt has a longer pin and a knurled copper nut above the smooth nut your contacts touch) the new one has 2 smooth nuts and the bottle fits (just) clear of the 510

29/06/17 07:17 PM
Beldin Offline
Liveware Problem

just on the off chance - does anyone happen to have some 0.5mm-0.6mm copper plate lying around and has the tools and competence to make some contacts (i actually need 2 sets) for a 'nominal' fee + p&p? (specs and a 1:1 template can be provided)

(saves me buying some metal nips/shears and a step drill bit or 12mm burr drill bit)

EDIT: perhaps i should say 'modest' as opposed to 'nominal' lol

(This post was last modified: 29/06/17 07:35 PM by Beldin.)
29/06/17 07:23 PM
MDC Offline

(29/06/17 07:11 PM)Stevethesax Wrote:  
(29/06/17 06:36 PM)MDC Wrote:  Point taken about the copper, I have clamped it really well before drilling, and ease off just before the bit bites on penetration. The Dremel style tools often have reamers, so another possibility is to drill the hole small and ream it out.

They're more likely to be 'burrs', which are a crude form of milling cutter. They work just fine, but can be incredibly hard to control.
A better bet is a small grinding wheel, preferably a cylindrical one. It'll clag up fast with copper, but it's less likely to leave a ragged hole.
A 'proper' reamer is a very different tool.
Yes, I was a bit careless with terminology there - burrs, or grinding heads. I have found them to be quite good at enlarging holes though. Especially easy if the taper on the tool head is as big as the hole you want. If the hole is bigger, then care and a light touch is needed.
29/06/17 07:31 PM
MDC Offline

(29/06/17 07:23 PM)Beldin Wrote:  just on the off chance - does anyone happen to have some 0.5mm-0.6mm copper plate lying around and has the tools and competence to make some contacts (i actually need 2 sets) for a 'nominal' fee + p&p? (specs and a 1:1 template can be provided)

(saves me buying some metal nips/shears and a step drill bit or 12mm burr drill bit)

EDIT: perhaps i should say 'modest' as opposed to 'nominal' lol

I'm far from sure that pure copper sheet is best for this. While copper is a good conductor, it tarnishes quite badly, is rather soft, and isn't very springy. Maybe something like Phosphor bronze or nickel plated steel?
29/06/17 07:49 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)