Important: Your continued use of this forum indicates acceptance of the forum rules. Please make sure you have read and understand these rules.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
best way to....
Beldin Offline
Liveware Problem

Likes Given: 446
Sex: Undisclosed

RE: best way to....
(29/06/17 07:49 PM)MDC Wrote:  Maybe something like Phosphor bronze ...

sounds interesting - you used it for contacts?

29/06/17 08:23 PM
Find all posts by this user Like Post Quote this message in a reply Return to top
MDC Offline

Likes Given: 275
Sex: Male
(29/06/17 08:23 PM)Beldin Wrote:  
(29/06/17 07:49 PM)MDC Wrote:  Maybe something like Phosphor bronze ...

sounds interesting - you used it for contacts?

Frankly no! I'm not into DIY mods, because I can't match what I can buy cheaply for my needs. I have done a lot of electronic engineering work some years ago, occasionally battery driven, and I've never seen pure soft copper battery contacts. Most of the bought-in snap-on connectors were silvery in appearance and were probably nickel plated steel. Springs are possibly phosphor bronze.

I suspect the mod 510 "copper" pins are a copper alloy.

Main issue with phosphor bronze is that it may be difficult to work with. Might have to heat treat to soften it then re-harden after.

I don't know for sure though. It's normally used where springiness is essential - on wipers and snap switches, and might be hard to drill.
29/06/17 08:56 PM
Find all posts by this user Like Post Quote this message in a reply Return to top
Stevethesax Offline
Out, damn'd spot

Likes Given: 345
(29/06/17 08:56 PM)MDC Wrote:  I don't know for sure though. It's normally used where springiness is essential - on wipers and snap switches, and might be hard to drill.

Phos.Bronze makes great springs as it work hardens quite well.
It's easy to drill, but it's a sod to turn threads in.
29/06/17 09:14 PM
[-] The following 1 user Likes Stevethesax's post:
Beldin (11/07/17)
nisam Offline

Likes Given: 3,081
Sex:
(29/06/17 07:23 PM)Beldin Wrote:  just on the off chance - does anyone happen to have some 0.5mm-0.6mm copper plate lying around and has the tools and competence to make some contacts (i actually need 2 sets) for a 'nominal' fee + p&p? (specs and a 1:1 template can be provided)

(saves me buying some metal nips/shears and a step drill bit or 12mm burr drill bit)

EDIT: perhaps i should say 'modest' as opposed to 'nominal' lol

If you're stuck I can send you a set of cheap tin snips and a cheap set of drill bits for the cost of postage.

They'll be cheap crap - Draper, Hilka or the likes, but will get you through this job.
29/06/17 09:39 PM
[-] The following 2 users Like nisam's post:
Beldin (11/07/17), fridgemagnett (29/06/17)
fridgemagnett Offline

Likes Given: 1,323
The best material I know of, for this application, is beryllium copper.
I don't know anything about phosphor bronze though - it may well be as good.
Leaf spring contacts should be age hardened by two hours baking at 300deg. This will improve the conductivity of the metal, and will harden it's abrasion resistance, spring and tensile strength.
(This post was last modified: 01/07/17 08:56 AM by fridgemagnett.)
29/06/17 09:52 PM
[-] The following 1 user Likes fridgemagnett's post:
Beldin (11/07/17)
Cheekiecharlie Offline
Forum Moderators

Likes Given: 5,336
i would suggest buying a full face mask, they are very cheap , less than a tenner on ebay , iv'e had many break on me , one lodged in my foot once, but i have had a few hit the face mask , which would have probably gave quite a severe facial injury if not for the mask , my dremmel spins at 30,000 rpm , don't want to scare you mate, you're an adult and very capable of making your own decisions , but please consider what i said, iv'e been stupid with power tools over the years and had a few minor injuries over the years, i even managed to drill right through my thumb once , made a perfect 2mm hole tho Big Grin

vaping is a passion ,not just a hobby,

http://forum.squonking.co.uk/index.php

29/06/17 09:58 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Like Post Quote this message in a reply Return to top
Beldin Offline
Liveware Problem

went for fine silver in the end - it comes cut to length and width - so all i need to do is round the edges and drill the hole
being 999 silver it is supposed to tarnish much slower than copper or sterling silver - especially if you keep your fingers off it
barely more expensive than a sheet of phosphor bronze delivered - but with much less work

i have some wire cutters that are too big / heavy duty for leg snipping - but should be up to the task of rounding those edges even if it wasnt for cutting strips out of a larger sheet

as for drilling - i'll affix it to a piece of old wood first - probably trap the edges under screw heads so it cant twist... just need a £6 step drill bit off ebay and away i go

(This post was last modified: 30/06/17 11:26 AM by Beldin.)
30/06/17 11:20 AM
[-] The following 1 user Likes Beldin's post:
fridgemagnett (01/07/17)
Stevethesax Offline
Out, damn'd spot

(30/06/17 11:20 AM)Beldin Wrote:  went for fine silver in the end - it comes cut to length and width - so all i need to do is round the edges and drill the hole
being 999 silver it is supposed to tarnish much slower than copper or sterling silver - especially if you keep your fingers off it
barely more expensive than a sheet of phosphor bronze delivered - but with much less work.

I much prefer silver for contacts and pins. It's easy to work, not that expensive - and it's pretty much fit and forget.
Here's a tip tho' - if you need to make it into a plate with a bit of spring in it, run the (round) shaft of a screwdriver over the faces a few times, as though ironing out a crease.
This work-hardens the metal and gives it a bit of spring.
30/06/17 11:36 AM
[-] The following 1 user Likes Stevethesax's post:
Beldin (11/07/17)
Beldin Offline
Liveware Problem

(30/06/17 11:36 AM)Stevethesax Wrote:  Here's a tip tho' - if you need to make it into a plate with a bit of spring in it, run the (round) shaft of a screwdriver over the faces a few times, as though ironing out a crease.
This work-hardens the metal and gives it a bit of spring.

thx 4 the tip - it is described as 'Half Hard' Confused

30/06/17 02:46 PM
Stevethesax Offline
Out, damn'd spot

(30/06/17 02:46 PM)Beldin Wrote:  thx 4 the tip - it is described as 'Half Hard' Confused

That means it's supplied ready work-hardened (a bit). Should be reasonably springy with just a bit of give in it.
01/07/17 08:18 AM
[-] The following 2 users Like Stevethesax's post:
Beldin (11/07/17), fridgemagnett (01/07/17)

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)