Important: Your continued use of this forum indicates acceptance of the forum rules. Please make sure you have read and understand these rules.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
iStick 100W - series or parallel?
VapeOff Offline

Likes Given: 113
Sex: Male
iStick 100W - series or parallel?
This is perhaps not so much a technical issue as it is a technical enquiry, but I guess wrong information could lead to a very technical issue down the line...

So, eLeaf haven't exactly stated anywhere what arrangement their battery ports are for the iStick 100W, but the fact that both positive terminals face the same way would indicate that it is parallel, right?

However, many people have expressed that, as the device can go up to 10V, it must be series. Apparently parallel couldn't manage this...

So it appears that there are two distinct camps...
1) Those who believe (with little evidence, mind) that, due to the matching polarities, the iStick 100W is a parallel mod.
2) Those who say that a parallel mod couldn't reach to 10V and therefore the iStick 100W must be a series mod with the batteries arranged in some elaborate parallel layout to allow passthrough USB charging.

Does anyone have any compelling reasons to offer that could answer this once and for all?

I ask for a specific reason - I am currently running the recommended 2 x Samsung 25R batteries in an iStick 100W and have built a pair of twisted 24G coils that come out at 0.18ohms. According to the law of our old friend Ohm, at 70W, this would require a current of 20.29A...

The Samsung 25R batteries have a max continuous discharging current of 20A...so in parallel, where both batteries' amp limits are combined, this would be practically half of the battery pair's limit.... but in series, the amp limit would stay at 20A, making this build pretty dangerous to run.

In the spirit of being in the know, a responsible vaper and in possession of all my fingers and a complete face, I'd like to find out whether the iStick 100W really is parallel so that, if it isn't, I know to remove this build and never use it again.

All help is, as ever, greatly appreciated.

EDIT: Another important point...if you insert one battery into the iStick 100W, the device activates and can be used. Would this further suggest that it is a parallel mod?
(This post was last modified: 06/09/15 11:44 PM by VapeOff.)
06/09/15 11:37 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Like Post Quote this message in a reply Return to top
appleroe Offline
How do you like them Apple's

Likes Given: 483
RE: iStick 100W - series or parallel?
(06/09/15 11:37 PM)VapeOff Wrote:  This is perhaps not so much a technical issue as it is a technical enquiry, but I guess wrong information could lead to a very technical issue down the line...

So, eLeaf haven't exactly stated anywhere what arrangement their battery ports are for the iStick 100W, but the fact that both positive terminals face the same way would indicate that it is parallel, right?

However, many people have expressed that, as the device can go up to 10V, it must be series. Apparently parallel couldn't manage this...

1) Those who believe (with little evidence, mind) that, due to the matching polarities, the iStick 100W is a parallel mod.
2) Those who say that a parallel mod couldn't reach to 10V and therefore the iStick 100W must be a series mod with the batteries arranged in some elaborate parallel layout to allow passthrough USB charging.

Does anyone have any compelling reasons to offer that could answer this once and for all?

I ask for a specific reason - I am currently running the recommended 2 x Samsung 25R batteries in an iStick 100W and have built a pair of twisted 24G coils that come out at 0.18ohms. According to the law of our old friend Ohm, at 70W, this would require a current of 20.29A...

The Samsung 25R batteries have a max continuous discharging current of 20A...so in parallel, where both batteries' amp limits are combined, this would be practically half of the battery pair's limit.... but in series, the amp limit would stay at 20A, making this build pretty dangerous to run.

In the spirit of being in the know, a responsible vaper and in possession of all my fingers and a complete face, I'd like to find out whether the iStick 100W really is parallel so that, if it isn't, I know to remove this build and never use it again.

EDIT: Another important point...if you insert one battery into the iStick 100W, the device activates and can be used. Would this further suggest that it is a parallel mod?
i would say parallel but i am only saying that because if it were series customers should be told so as they can swap the batteries around before the next charge so to keep the load even on the batteries , also i would think that for a entry level 100w device where noobs would go for it , it would be the safest configuration but its pure speculation i am no battery expert , i am sure Jobo will be along shortly if he is around he knows about this stuff, i defo don't

The right to be heard does not automatically include the right to be taken seriously.
(This post was last modified: 07/09/15 12:02 AM by appleroe.)
06/09/15 11:59 PM
Find all posts by this user Like Post Quote this message in a reply Return to top
JoBo Offline
over-sensitive
Vendors

Likes Given: 9,144
Sex: Undisclosed
She. Smiling

It's parallel. Uses a boost circuit to get to 10v. Not as efficient as series but perfectly possible. All the iSticks go to 10v and they all have 4.2v batteries.

You don't need to worry about resistance with a regulated mod, as long as it's within the useable range. The coil isn't directly connected to the battery, the chip is demanding the power it needs. The batteries need to supply the power from whatever voltage they have left, with efficiency losses, so a reasonable rule of thumb is:

max amps = max watts/2.5v

and then divide that by the number of batteries. So you need 20a batteries for 100w and the 25Rs are perfect.
07/09/15 12:11 AM
Find all posts by this user Like Post Quote this message in a reply Return to top
[-] The following 2 users Like JoBo's post:
appleroe (07/09/15), phil1955 (02/01/17)
appleroe Offline
How do you like them Apple's

Likes Given: 483
(07/09/15 12:11 AM)JoBo Wrote:  She. Smiling

It's parallel. Uses a boost circuit to get to 10v. Not as efficient as series but perfectly possible. All the iSticks go to 10v and they all have 4.2v batteries.

You don't need to worry about resistance with a regulated mod, as long as it's within the useable range. The coil isn't directly connected to the battery, the chip is demanding the power it needs. The batteries need to supply the power from whatever voltage they have left, with efficiency losses, so a reasonable rule of thumb is:

and then divide that by the number of batteries. So you need 20a batteries for 100w and the 25Rs are perfect.

my apologies but i thought it was undisclosed lol Wink told you SHE would know lol

The right to be heard does not automatically include the right to be taken seriously.
07/09/15 12:20 AM
[-] The following 1 user Likes appleroe's post:
JoBo (07/09/15)
Toby | iVapour Offline
eGoer
Vendors

Likes Given: 1,832
Why would you have a 100w device with batteries in series, when many peeps prollly won't use it much above 15w anyway.. ?

i.e. it's more about the getting the most out of the battery capacities... (in parallel)

The 100w buck-booster is just a bonus...

07/09/15 12:37 AM
JoBo Offline
over-sensitive
Vendors

You get better battery life out of series.
07/09/15 12:43 AM
Toby | iVapour Offline
eGoer
Vendors

Likes Given: 1,832
Shows how much I know then...

I always thought that batts in series is to get the greater power potential of double the voltage of the individual cells...

And that parallel only delivers the power of one of the cells, but doubled the capacity of each (together)...

07/09/15 01:07 AM
JoBo Offline
over-sensitive
Vendors

In series you double the voltage, in parallel you double the mAh. Both double the watt hours (=volts x mAh).

mAh aren't a very useful measure of capacity but they're used to rate batteries because it remains constant regardless of load. Hence the common confusion over battery life in series vs parallel. DNA200 makers are tying themselves in knots trying to explain why they're putting out 200w mods with 1000mAh batteries. Big Grin

Series is more efficient in practice because losses in the circuit are proportional to amps^2, and bucking voltage is more efficient than boosting it.
07/09/15 01:22 AM
MDC Online

Likes Given: 279
(06/09/15 11:37 PM)VapeOff Wrote:  This is perhaps not so much a technical issue as it is a technical enquiry, but I guess wrong information could lead to a very technical issue down the line...

Even without JoBo's confirmation, this indicates the mod batteries are parallel connected. This should be OK to use up to 50w, though normal advice is to populate the mod with batteries for full power.
07/09/15 08:14 AM
VapeOff Offline

Likes Given: 113

(07/09/15 12:11 AM)JoBo Wrote:  She. Smiling

I'll admit, I always assumed that you were male JoBo. I stand corrected Smiling

So should the 0.18 coils be safe to use then? I always thought that with a parallel configuration where both batteries are the same, the individual amp limit is doubled, so that two 20A batteries like the 25Rs would effectively be able to provide approx 40A?
07/09/15 08:29 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Like Post Quote this message in a reply Return to top

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)