Important: Your continued use of this forum indicates acceptance of the forum rules. Please make sure you have read and understand these rules.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
iStick Pico not staying in TC-SS mode
HeyJoe Offline

Likes Given: 284
Sex:
RE: iStick Pico not staying in TC-SS mode
(29/07/17 02:12 AM)nisam Wrote:  
(29/07/17 12:29 AM)Havin_it Wrote:  I shut the door on this issue some time ago (as you can see), but tonight I decided to try out one of my Ti coils as my latest (very sugary) juice was getting my coils burnt very quickly, and I'd no kanthal coils left.

TC-Ti mode was as hopeless as before, but I tried TCR instead and got much better results. Still a bit spitty but not as bad as before, and no sign of burning the liquid.

I recently purchased a Smok TFV8 Baby Beast (3ml, pre-TPD) tank and I see that they don't have TC-compatible consumables, so I'm interested in getting the RBA and doing my own coils in SS or Ti for it. Can anyone validate these choices for wire and wick, or suggest better options? TIA

With temperature control, you control the temperature. Stuff will only burn if you tell it to.

I'll try TC on my caramel and see if the coil lasts longer. Lasting about 3 days on Watts mode before it all goes black.
29/07/17 02:56 AM
Find all posts by this user Like Post Quote this message in a reply Return to top
nisam Offline

Likes Given: 3,158
Sex:
(29/07/17 02:56 AM)HeyJoe Wrote:  I'll try TC on my caramel and see if the coil lasts longer. Lasting about 3 days on Watts mode before it all goes black.

My temp control experience is limited to ni200, from which I learned two things:

1. It works very well, provided you set a temperature below the scorching point of cotton. With very gunky juices it may be prudent to set lower again.

2. I didn't need it and was quite happy to stick with kanthal.
29/07/17 09:35 AM
Find all posts by this user Like Post Quote this message in a reply Return to top
MDC Offline

Likes Given: 283
Sex: Male
(29/07/17 02:56 AM)HeyJoe Wrote:  
(29/07/17 02:12 AM)nisam Wrote:  
(29/07/17 12:29 AM)Havin_it Wrote:  I shut the door on this issue some time ago (as you can see), but tonight I decided to try out one of my Ti coils as my latest (very sugary) juice was getting my coils burnt very quickly, and I'd no kanthal coils left.

TC-Ti mode was as hopeless as before, but I tried TCR instead and got much better results. Still a bit spitty but not as bad as before, and no sign of burning the liquid.

I recently purchased a Smok TFV8 Baby Beast (3ml, pre-TPD) tank and I see that they don't have TC-compatible consumables, so I'm interested in getting the RBA and doing my own coils in SS or Ti for it. Can anyone validate these choices for wire and wick, or suggest better options? TIA

With temperature control, you control the temperature. Stuff will only burn if you tell it to.

I'll try TC on my caramel and see if the coil lasts longer. Lasting about 3 days on Watts mode before it all goes black.

Shouldn't make any difference, if you use the same coil and use the same temperature - Stainless Steel will do both. Either way, the coil gets hot. In power mode you set the power to get the temperature you want. In TC you set temperature and the mod adjusts power to get that temperature.

One way that TC could give marginally better results is if you have a big coil - ramp-up time can be reduced, meaning the coil doesn't have to be powered quite as long for a drag. Many mods will let you program a momentary power boost in Power mode, to ramp the coil up quicker.
29/07/17 09:37 AM
[-] The following 1 user Likes MDC's post:
HeyJoe (29/07/17)
nisam Offline

Sex:
(29/07/17 09:37 AM)MDC Wrote:  Shouldn't make any difference, if you use the same coil and use the same temperature - Stainless Steel will do both. Either way, the coil gets hot. In power mode you set the power to get the temperature you want. In TC you set temperature and the mod adjusts power to get that temperature.

One way that TC could give marginally better results is if you have a big coil - ramp-up time can be reduced, meaning the coil doesn't have to be powered quite as long for a drag. Many mods will let you program a momentary power boost in Power mode, to ramp the coil up quicker.

Temperature control limits coil temperature to whatever level you set it. As your coil reaches the desired temperature, power is throttled back. In power mode, battery power is constantly applied, regardless of coil temperature, while you're holding the fire button. I'd call that a fairly substantial difference.

I vape at low power, and tend not to burn things, yet still noticed a substantial increase in the life of wicking material. I reiterate my earlier point that temperature control is only as good as the information given to the board - this may mean compromising on vapour production, which people are often not prepared to do and subsequently complain that temperature control doesn't work.
(This post was last modified: 29/07/17 10:23 AM by nisam.)
29/07/17 10:20 AM
MDC Offline

(29/07/17 10:20 AM)nisam Wrote:  
(29/07/17 09:37 AM)MDC Wrote:  Shouldn't make any difference, if you use the same coil and use the same temperature - Stainless Steel will do both. Either way, the coil gets hot. In power mode you set the power to get the temperature you want. In TC you set temperature and the mod adjusts power to get that temperature.

Temperature control limits coil temperature to whatever level you set it. As your coil reaches the desired temperature, power is throttled back. In power mode, battery power is constantly applied, regardless of coil temperature, while you're holding the fire button. I'd call that a fairly substantial difference.

I vape at low power, and tend not to burn things, yet still noticed a substantial increase in the life of wicking material. I reiterate my earlier point that temperature control is only as good as the information given to the board - this may mean compromising on vapour production, which people are often not prepared to do and subsequently complain that temperature control doesn't work.

If you set the power to give the same equilibrium temperature that your TC setting would, then the only difference is the ramp up period, which can be compensated for in power mode by programming an initial boost. My coils are sufficiently light that ramp up isn't a problem anyway.

The issue I was replying to is whether coil life would differ in TC - I don't think it will significantly.

If you compromise on vapour production, then the coil must be running cooler? That will usually prolong coil life.

I've tried TC with Nickel, and it worked well enough, but I prefer Kanthal for coils in my size and power range. I just make sure my tanks don't run dry.
29/07/17 11:06 AM
nisam (29/07/17)
nisam Offline

Sex:
(29/07/17 11:06 AM)MDC Wrote:  If you set the power to give the same equilibrium temperature that your TC setting would, then the only difference is the ramp up period, which can be compensated for in power mode by programming an initial boost. My coils are sufficiently light that ramp up isn't a problem anyway.

The issue I was replying to is whether coil life would differ in TC - I don't think it will significantly.

If you compromise on vapour production, then the coil must be running cooler? That will usually prolong coil life.

I've tried TC with Nickel, and it worked well enough, but I prefer Kanthal for coils in my size and power range. I just make sure my tanks don't run dry.

I don't disagree with the points you make as temperature control doesn't do anything you can't do yourself. However it's unlikely that the average vaper is going to drill down into that much detail, so temperature control provides great convenience when it comes to achieving that end.

Conversely, there are many vapers who use temp control, yet still burn stuff. That's a special achievement in itself.
29/07/17 12:18 PM
[-] The following 2 users Like nisam's post:
HeyJoe (29/07/17), MDC (29/07/17)
MDC Offline

(29/07/17 12:18 PM)nisam Wrote:  Conversely, there are many vapers who use temp control, yet still burn stuff. That's a special achievement in itself.

That could well be me if I used TC! Vape range of most mods is quoted at 200-600 Fahrenheit, and dry cotton burns at 410-420F, just above mid-range. As I like a warm vape...
29/07/17 12:32 PM
nisam (29/07/17)

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)