Important: Your continued use of this forum indicates acceptance of the forum rules. Please make sure you have read and understand these rules.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
mixing big batches by weight, 0.1g scale OK?
Smoke Bloke Offline
Shorty Mega Bore

Likes Given: 1,846
Sex: Undisclosed
mixing big batches by weight, 0.1g scale OK?
I've been happily mixing 250ml batches of e-liquid (using Hangsen Essence) for myself and SWMBO up until now. The bottles always seem empty too soon What?, so now I've ordered some nice 500 ml dropper bottles to mix in.
My cheapo scale, the one I've used until now, is a 200g model that weighs in 0.01g increments (and has a bit of an annoying auto-off too).

I'm going to need a bigger scale ScratchChin

Dumb question maybe, but anyone with experience care to opine on if 0.1g increments would be suitable when mixing 500ml batches? Or can even recommend a suitable model?

09/01/19 01:48 PM
Find all posts by this user Like Post Quote this message in a reply Return to top
MDC Offline

Likes Given: 387
Sex: Male
RE: mixing big batches by weight, 0.1g scale OK?
(09/01/19 01:48 PM)Smoke Bloke Wrote:  I've been happily mixing 250ml batches of e-liquid (using Hangsen Essence) for myself and SWMBO up until now. The bottles always seem empty too soon What?, so now I've ordered some nice 500 ml dropper bottles to mix in.
My cheapo scale, the one I've used until now, is a 200g model that weighs in 0.01g increments (and has a bit of an annoying auto-off too).

I'm going to need a bigger scale ScratchChin

Dumb question maybe, but anyone with experience care to opine on if 0.1g increments would be suitable when mixing 500ml batches? Or can even recommend a suitable model?

I don't think I measure stuff that requires that kind of accuracy! If you're mixing complicated stuff with traces of flavours, maybe so. I'm normally mixing 10 - 100ml batches, and my 500g scales with 0.1g resolution is fine.
09/01/19 02:00 PM
Find all posts by this user Like Post Quote this message in a reply Return to top
[-] The following 2 users Like MDC's post:
Izan (09/01/19), Smoke Bloke (09/01/19)
kempos Offline

Likes Given: 51
Sex:
I've only got a small set of scales, so when mixing big bottles, I tend to only weight the nic and flavourings to keep this accurate.

I then use an online calculator to work out how much PG/VG, and use a measuring jug for these liquids. Seems to work pretty simply...
09/01/19 02:05 PM
[-] The following 1 user Likes kempos's post:
Smoke Bloke (09/01/19)
Smoke Bloke Offline
Shorty Mega Bore

(09/01/19 02:00 PM)MDC Wrote:  ...

I don't think I measure stuff that requires that kind of accuracy! If you're mixing complicated stuff with traces of flavours, maybe so. I'm normally mixing 10 - 100ml batches, and my 500g scales with 0.1g resolution is fine.
[/quote]

Thanks! Come to realistically think about I rarely hit 0.01g accuracy with the 250ml batches either Scratch Head. The choice of bigger, sturdier, easier-to-clean scales seems better with the 0.1g models. The power-off on the little scale is a bit of PITA too.
Only mixing Hangsen Essence at 7%, so no complications with traces of anything.

(09/01/19 02:05 PM)kempos Wrote:  I've only got a small set of scales, so when mixing big bottles, I tend to only weight the nic and flavourings to keep this accurate.

I then use an online calculator to work out how much PG/VG, and use a measuring jug for these liquids. Seems to work pretty simply...

That's basically what I do when mixing 250ml bottles on the '200g' scale too - I just don't think that little scale would bear the weight of +/-550g liquid plus bottle.

09/01/19 02:06 PM
Flashman Offline

Likes Given: 91
0.1 is fine
09/01/19 02:17 PM
[-] The following 1 user Likes Flashman's post:
Smoke Bloke (09/01/19)
ShagDoubt Offline
MV Pilot

Likes Given: 477
You don't have to weight the whole lot.......

I use 200g 0.01g scales to mix up to a litre at a time.

Use the tare function for the concentrates, Nic and PG, then measure (the far less critical) VG in a medical beaker.

It's simple and I see no reason to upgrade.

(This post was last modified: 10/01/19 08:28 PM by ShagDoubt.)
10/01/19 08:26 PM
[-] The following 1 user Likes ShagDoubt's post:
Smoke Bloke (11/01/19)
Smoke Bloke Offline
Shorty Mega Bore

(10/01/19 08:26 PM)ShagDoubt Wrote:  You don't have to weight the whole lot.......

Use the tare function for the concentrates, Nic and PG, then measure (the far less critical) VG in a medical beaker.

I mixed my first 500 ml last night.

My nic base alone was 259g, so over the 200g my little scale can deal with. I suppose there are various ways to work around this in the future, but that's what I have to work with at the moment.

I used my regular kitchen scales for the time being, with the rationale that at 500ml I should still be within +/- 0.2% (my dodgy arithmetic may be failing me here...).
Unfortunately these have an even faster auto-shutoff than my 'precision' scales, so I might well be looking for an alternative.

(If anyone is taking notes Wink, my mix was 258.69g base, 73.79g PG, 181.3g VG and 36.26g single flavouring, all rounded to the nearest gram.)

11/01/19 06:46 AM
MDC Offline

(11/01/19 06:46 AM)Smoke Bloke Wrote:  
(10/01/19 08:26 PM)ShagDoubt Wrote:  You don't have to weight the whole lot.......

I mixed my first 500 ml last night.

My nic base alone was 259g, so over the 200g my little scale can deal with. I suppose there are various ways to work around this in the future, but that's what I have to work with at the moment.

I used my regular kitchen scales for the time being, with the rationale that at 500ml I should still be within +/- 0.2% (my dodgy arithmetic may be failing me here...).
Unfortunately these have an even faster auto-shutoff than my 'precision' scales, so I might well be looking for an alternative.

(If anyone is taking notes Wink, my mix was 258.69g base, 73.79g PG, 181.3g VG and 36.26g single flavouring, all rounded to the nearest gram.)

If you zero the scales before starting with vessel in place, then zero between ingredients added, then auto-shutoff is a real problem. If you weigh the mixing vessel, then calculate the target weight with each ingredient added, no problem. You can restart the scales with nothing on them, and carry on.

My scales shut down the light after a few seconds, but the scales remain on - not had a total shutdown yet.

https://www.fasttech.com/products/0/1001...ghing-tray

Oh, and though I don't need it, they do go down to .01g. As they're 500g, you'd have to measure ingredients rather than the mix if you want over about 450ml plus mixing vessel.
11/01/19 11:06 AM
[-] The following 1 user Likes MDC's post:
Smoke Bloke (11/01/19)
Smoke Bloke Offline
Shorty Mega Bore

(11/01/19 11:06 AM)MDC Wrote:  If you zero the scales before starting with vessel in place, then zero between ingredients added, then auto-shutoff is a real problem. If you weigh the mixing vessel, then calculate the target weight with each ingredient added, no problem. You can restart the scales with nothing on them, and carry on.

My scales shut down the light after a few seconds, but the scales remain on - not had a total shutdown yet....

That would be a handy function in a mixing app (for the lazy, like me). I've gone and ordered a G&G KF3000A set of scales, up to 3 kg in 0.1g increments, with a 15m shutoff (programmable to 30, 45 or 'never'). About twice the price of my cheapo 200g model, but should see plenty double duty in the house.
The 200g scales (disguised as a pocket calculator) can go to one of my great-nieces or nephews for weighing bugs and coins (or playing 'Little Drug Baron')

11/01/19 11:29 AM
[-] The following 2 users Like Smoke Bloke's post:
jezzab05 (11/01/19), MDC (11/01/19)
MDC Offline

(11/01/19 11:29 AM)Smoke Bloke Wrote:  
(11/01/19 11:06 AM)MDC Wrote:  If you zero the scales before starting with vessel in place, then zero between ingredients added, then auto-shutoff is a real problem. If you weigh the mixing vessel, then calculate the target weight with each ingredient added, no problem. You can restart the scales with nothing on them, and carry on.

My scales shut down the light after a few seconds, but the scales remain on - not had a total shutdown yet....

That would be a handy function in a mixing app (for the lazy, like me). I've gone and ordered a G&G KF3000A set of scales, up to 3 kg in 0.1g increments, with a 15m shutoff (programmable to 30, 45 or 'never'). About twice the price of my cheapo 200g model, but should see plenty double duty in the house.
The 200g scales (disguised as a pocket calculator) can go to one of my great-nieces or nephews for weighing bugs and coins (or playing 'Little Drug Baron')
Looks like a good one! Three times the cost of mine, but if you're brewing half a litre or more at a time, then worth having.
11/01/19 12:12 PM
[-] The following 1 user Likes MDC's post:
Smoke Bloke (11/01/19)

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)