Important: Your continued use of this forum indicates acceptance of the forum rules. Please make sure you have read and understand these rules.

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Votes - 1 Average
obijons guide to steeping.
VapJak Offline

Likes Given: 59
Sex: Undisclosed
RE: obijons guide to steeping.
Breathing in the dry climate of California - sure

Don't do it in UK - PG & VG are both hygroscopic !!!

1, 3, 4 & 5 are fine - just leave out No 2

IMHO that is Smiling
15/05/16 09:06 PM
Find all posts by this user Like Post Quote this message in a reply Return to top
[-] The following 1 user Likes VapJak's post:
slidey_adz (15/05/16)
slidey_adz Offline
Professional Idiot

Likes Given: 1,052
Sex: Undisclosed
(15/05/16 09:06 PM)VapJak Wrote:  Breathing in the dry climate of California - sure

Don't do it in UK - PG & VG are both hygroscopic !!!

1, 3, 4 & 5 are fine - just leave out No 2

IMHO that is Smiling

Are they really?! Dang.. didnt know that! Could always do it in a room with dehumidifier..? But thats just excessive lol

RTA/RDA/DIY = F#CK THE TPD!!
15/05/16 09:29 PM
Find all posts by this user Like Post Quote this message in a reply Return to top
QuinnDexter Offline
Uberfool

Likes Given: 1,726
Sex: Male
I'm not knocking obijon's method, but I've just never found that heat makes any difference to my normal mixing/steeping technique. I mix my juices in glass spice jars, whizzed up with a milk frother to almost a foam, usually two or three times with a rest for the air to settle out in between. I put tin foil lids on them and store them in a dark kitchen cupboard. The dessert type flavours I often give a second whizz after a week or so then pop it back away. Nothing seems to take longer than a fortnight before it's matured. If I try a small mix shaken in a 10ml bottle it seems to take twice as long, so I gave up on that method for small testers and just do the same as above. From my perspective it looks like the agitation, or maybe the air mixed in with the frother is the key, but I'm sure there's more than one way to get to the endgame.

15/05/16 09:51 PM
[-] The following 1 user Likes QuinnDexter's post:
anditweighsaton (18/05/16)
obijon Offline

Likes Given: 47

I not saying it's right its just what I have tried and seems to work. I give the 24 hr stand a miss next time and see what happens. The heating definitely helps though.
15/05/16 10:53 PM
[-] The following 1 user Likes obijon's post:
anditweighsaton (18/05/16)
kempos Offline

Likes Given: 46
Sex:
Pretty much the same method I use, although I've generally got 30-40 bottles of mixes in my drawer, so some will get a week, some will get a month, depends what gets picked out of the drawer 1st.

Not tried the heating the bottle after mixing, I had heard about putting it in a microwave for 10 seconds or something, but wasn't sure I trusted that idea.

Will give you method of heating the bottle on next mix, sounds sensible to help the flavours mix properly. Cheers for the tip.
18/05/16 11:36 AM
anditweighsaton Offline

Likes Given: 1,489
(15/05/16 09:51 PM)QuinnDexter Wrote:  I'm not knocking obijon's method, but I've just never found that heat makes any difference to my normal mixing/steeping technique. I mix my juices in glass spice jars, whizzed up with a milk frother to almost a foam, usually two or three times with a rest for the air to settle out in between. I put tin foil lids on them and store them in a dark kitchen cupboard. The dessert type flavours I often give a second whizz after a week or so then pop it back away. Nothing seems to take longer than a fortnight before it's matured. If I try a small mix shaken in a 10ml bottle it seems to take twice as long, so I gave up on that method for small testers and just do the same as above. From my perspective it looks like the agitation, or maybe the air mixed in with the frother is the key, but I'm sure there's more than one way to get to the endgame.

Ditto. 500ml preserve jars and a milk frother then in a dark cupboard. Another whizz every few days for some or a hard shake.
18/05/16 12:58 PM
Phaalman Offline

Likes Given: 91
Yea don't need that elaborate process bung it in a drawer for 6 weeks
19/05/16 12:51 PM
angrymic Offline

Likes Given: 25
Sex:
I do a night in the slow cooker on low then leave in a cupboard for a few weeks. Works for me
23/11/16 11:25 AM
tiger50 Offline

Likes Given: 176
30ml bottles in microwave on defrost/low power for 30 odd seconds, found that as effective as my ultrasonic cleaner.
23/11/16 12:10 PM
[-] The following 1 user Likes tiger50's post:
onikami (21/02/17)
davelin83 Offline

Likes Given: 6
Sex:
I mix mine and give them a shake when i remember and leave for about 2 weeks and mine always taste very nice. the odd time i have had to use one bottle after a week the flavour gets better after a day or so. but i will try this and see if its any different
15/02/17 09:18 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)