Important: Your continued use of this forum indicates acceptance of the forum rules. Please make sure you have read and understand these rules.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
short fills...any point?
gazza Offline

Likes Given: 985
Sex: Male
short fills...any point?
Hello all, I'm in the market for juice for the first time since the TPD came fully into effect.

I have a freezer full of 72mg nic so I was thinking of buying some short fills, but working out the price per ml of 12-18 mg nic liquid and short fill liquid, there really doesn't seem to be more than pennies difference in the price per ml.

So was it really worth panic buying and storing all that nic over the last 2-3 years?

Should I just free up the (much needed) freezer space and start buying 3x10ml bottles of nic liquid?

Is my maths off and I've missed something in my calculations on price?

sent from a long time ago, in a galaxy far, far away.

14/04/18 01:37 PM
Find all posts by this user Like Post Quote this message in a reply Return to top
ShagDoubt Offline
MV Pilot

Likes Given: 470
RE: short fills...any point?
Well, there’s no point in wasting what you’ve got.
Just calculate how much less you need to put in and use what you have.
Be aware though that a lot of what’s sold as “shortfill” is just actually straight zero nic - so you’ll be far better off adding a little 72mg.

14/04/18 01:44 PM
Find all posts by this user Like Post Quote this message in a reply Return to top
[-] The following 3 users Like ShagDoubt's post:
Barnweld (14/04/18), ceedee (14/04/18), Richard46 (14/04/18)
MDC Offline

Likes Given: 345
Taking a look at Darkstar, they offer 18 x 10ml bottles, 18mg for £15.99

Equivalent in 72mg is 18 * 10 times 18/72 = 45 ml. At that rate, 1 litre would cost £355. I paid between £32 and £60 per litre for my nic, so definitely worth it.

As has been said the short fills are flavouring and PG/VG only, with room for nic to be added. I can't use this, as the resulting fluid is far too low in Nicotine for me. If it were not for the stash, I would be buying 18mg premixed juice from shops.
14/04/18 02:06 PM
[-] The following 6 users Like MDC's post:
Barnweld (14/04/18), Izan (14/04/18), kenny (14/04/18), marlowejames (14/04/18), nisam (14/04/18), Richard46 (14/04/18)
Richard46 Offline
Talking Backwards

Likes Given: 1,551
Sex: Undisclosed
(14/04/18 01:37 PM)gazza Wrote:  Hello all, I'm in the market for juice for the first time since the TPD came fully into effect.

I have a freezer full of 72mg nic so I was thinking of buying some short fills, but working out the price per ml of 12-18 mg nic liquid and short fill liquid, there really doesn't seem to be more than pennies difference in the price per ml.

So was it really worth panic buying and storing all that nic over the last 2-3 years?

Should I just free up the (much needed) freezer space and start buying 3x10ml bottles of nic liquid?

Is my maths off and I've missed something in my calculations on price?
Might depend on what you paid for the 72mg but on the basis of the cost of the nicotine alone I think your calculations have gone wrong.
i.e. Looking at Darkstar prices say you bought 500ml of 72mg/ml at the end of 2016 for about £16. (It was about £65 for 2000ml when I bought some).

Now that 500ml would make 3600ml of juice at 10mg/ml.
Compared with the current Darkstar nic shot offer of 18 x 10ml bottles of 18mg/ml. That would make just 325 ml of 10mg/ml juice and also costs about £16.

So on the price of nic alone your pre-TPD bulk 72mg was over ten time cheaper than the 1.8mg nic in 10ml bottles. Well using before and after Darkstar prices and assuming I have not made a whooper.

Beaten by MDC

14/04/18 02:34 PM
[-] The following 2 users Like Richard46's post:
Izan (14/04/18), marlowejames (14/04/18)
gazza Offline

Hi guys. thanks for the replies.

However, I think we are getting things the wrong way round. Apologies if I wasn't clear.

18mg juice works out around £3-£4 per 10ml (£12-£17 for x3 packs) on Vapeclub, whereas short fills come in at 19-24ish quid for 50mls. There is also little or no difference between 3mg and 18mg in price.*

so in buying liquid are we basically buying the flavour and getting the nic for free?

*of course, all this is based on my perusal of a single site and a limited number of liquids. I've been well out of the scene since before the full implementation of the TPD and have been working through a large stockpile of pre tpd liquid.

I'm happy to be pointed towards some value short fills.

edit to add: I've got the best part of 4 lts in the freezer, some of it clear, some of it bought near the "ban" going a decidedly pink/brown colour. I would happily work through it, topping up shortfill bottles for the next 20 years (?) if it made sense, but comparing the prices of nic and zero nic liquid, it doesn't seem to. At least to me, but I may be missing something.

(This post was last modified: 14/04/18 04:35 PM by gazza.)
14/04/18 04:29 PM
MDC Offline

Likes Given: 345
(14/04/18 04:29 PM)gazza Wrote:  Hi guys. thanks for the replies.

However, I think we are getting things the wrong way round. Apologies if I wasn't clear.

18mg juice works out around £3-£4 per 10ml (£12-£17 for x3 packs) on Vapeclub, whereas short fills come in at 19-24ish quid for 50mls. There is also little or no difference between 3mg and 18mg in price.*

so in buying liquid are we basically buying the flavour and getting the nic for free?

*of course, all this is based on my perusal of a single site and a limited number of liquids. I've been well out of the scene since before the full implementation of the TPD and have been working through a large stockpile of pre tpd liquid.

That's always been an oddity when buying premixed juice - the price is the same regardless of nic content. Home brewing has always been cheaper, but even more so if you use 3mg!

The short fill you mention seems to be extravagantly priced. You can buy 100ml of premixed juice for that! They should be cheaper than premixed juice, as the flavours don't have to be lab tested.

Why use shortfills anyway? I use Cupcake World food flavouring with VG & PG. Loads cheaper, even if you buy flavouring from premium sources.
(This post was last modified: 14/04/18 04:44 PM by MDC.)
14/04/18 04:38 PM
[-] The following 3 users Like MDC's post:
gazza (14/04/18), Izan (14/04/18), Richard46 (14/04/18)
lucifah Offline

Likes Given: 249
Since Darkstar was mentioned, I tried bottle shots from them, which cost between £10 and £13 (without nic) for a 250ml mix. Not only is that brilliant for lazy mixers, but it would also put your nic to good use without wasting a ton of extra money. I have only tried two of them so far, but Game of Scones is definitely not bad. 19-24 for 50ml sounds a little steep in comparison.

Edit to add: You'd need PG and VG as well, but that costs almost nothing.

14/04/18 04:53 PM
[-] The following 2 users Like lucifah's post:
Barnweld (14/04/18), Richard46 (14/04/18)
Richard46 Offline
Talking Backwards

Likes Given: 1,551
(14/04/18 04:29 PM)gazza Wrote:  Hi guys. thanks for the replies.

edit to add: I've got the best part of 4 lts in the freezer, some of it clear, some of it bought near the "ban" going a decidedly pink/brown colour. I would happily work through it, topping up shortfill bottles for the next 20 years (?) if it made sense, but comparing the prices of nic and zero nic liquid, it doesn't seem to. At least to me, but I may be missing something.

But you have a stash of 72mg. Tomorrow using my 72mg and separate flavour concentrates and PG/VG I am going to make up 400ml of 6mg ejuice.
It will cost just over £1 of my nic stash about £8 in flavourings and say £3-£4 in PG/VG. So lets go mad and say £15 for 400ml.

If you are concerned at all about cost then I think you should get mixing.

14/04/18 05:20 PM
[-] The following 2 users Like Richard46's post:
lucifah (14/04/18), nisam (14/04/18)
gazza Offline

(14/04/18 04:38 PM)MDC Wrote:  The short fill you mention seems to be extravagantly priced. You can buy 100ml of premixed juice for that! They should be cheaper than premixed juice, as the flavours don't have to be lab tested.

Yeah, I have since noticed that they come with nic in a separate bottle. Embarrassed and one can get 50ml around £10. This would actually make it worth buying and topping up myself.

I was wondering if someone would be kind enough to do the basic maths and tell me how many mls of 72 I would need to add to 50mls to get approx 18mg (I don't need to be exact...please see next reply for why).

14/04/18 05:44 PM
[-] The following 1 user Likes gazza's post:
Barnweld (14/04/18)
gazza Offline

(14/04/18 05:20 PM)Richard46 Wrote:  If you are concerned at all about cost then I think you should get mixing.

I used to mix, and part of the stash I've been going through is my own homebrew. But I am a sort of half-arsed sort of person, and usually ended up with flavour, juice, vg and nic all over the kitchen surfaces, my hands, and visitors pets.
Recognising the money saved wasn't worth another of "those looks" from the missus I've knocked it on the head.

However, squirting a few mls of my nic into a pre-mixed flavour should be within my capabilities, and actually get me good boy points for at least using some of "that crap that takes up space meant for ice-cream and vodka Mad ".

14/04/18 05:52 PM
[-] The following 1 user Likes gazza's post:
nisam (14/04/18)

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)